Mothers and Families
P.O Box 186
New Market, AL 35761
Look for MAF on Facebook @ Maf Fam
Greeting from Mothers and F.A.M.lilies:
May this letter find you in the best of spirit and health in spite of your circumstance of being incarcerated in Alabama. We hope to lift your spirit by letting you know that we are in this fight with you for freedom, justice and civil and human rights until the end. Over the past 3 years, we have been fighting relentlessly alongside FREE ALABAMA MOVEMENT and all others for justice in Alabama. Among our many activities have been:
1) Conducting protests at numerous prisons and in Montgomery to help bring awareness to the problems with ADOC, including the need for a mass release;
2) Promoting the Alabama FREEDOM BILL and demanding its passage by the Alabama Legislature;
3) Hosting rallies and workshops under the banner of INCARCERATED LIVES MATTER at Kelly Ingram Park in Birmingham, Alabama;
4) Meeting with local, state and federal official to address police brutality and other forms of corruption in ADOC;
5) Fighting for real wages for labor in ADOC so that working men and women can send money home to their families and children instead of enriching politicians in Montgomery;
6) Demanding changes to the Alabama parole board to provide for more paroles and more clearly defined criteria for mandatory parole;
7) Transparency and media access inside of ADOC; and more.
For the remainder of 2016, M.A.F. will be coordinating and conducting a Freedom Tour 2016 to canvas all of the prisons in the State of Alabama to garner support from more mothers and family members for our Movement to end Mass Incarceration in Alabama and throughout the Nation. If you are interested in becoming a part of this Movement or if you have any information that may be of use to us, please contact us.
Lastly, we want to remind everyone that the fight against Governor Bentley’s Alabama Prison Transformation Initiative Act and the construction of new prisons spending millions of dollars in Alabama is not over. The bill will now head to the Senate floor for debate and a vote in the next regular session of the Alabama Legislature. Be sure to contact your State Representatives to let them know that we oppose this plan. We want Education, Rehabilitation and Re- Entry Programs, not more economic exploitation and abuse.
Mothers and F.A.M.ilies